Cooking the best Rec Tec Tri tip is something that every Rec Tec grill owner should try; it’s a delicious cut of beef that may make you switch from the longer cooking briskets you’ve been preparing previously.
The biggest issue you may face is that incorrectly cooking the tri tip on your Rec Tec grill can result in tough and chewy meat that could turn you off from trying again, but believe me when I tell you that the tri tip is well worth a little effort so you can amaze your family and friends.
Tri tip is best served medium-rare, and it should be perfectly cooked in around three hours, including prep time if you follow the details below.
Table Of Contents
How Do You Cook Tri Tip On A Rec Tec Grill?
One of the best things about a perfect Rec Tec Tri tip grilling experience is that it’s an extremely cheap piece of meat because most people don’t know how to cook it, so your butcher will likely give it up much cheaper than other cuts of the same size.
See if your butcher can provide a 2-3 lb tri tip which will be perfect for the recipe and instructions below, including the timings, which will be helpful with your first time and until you get the hang of things.
Tri Tip Grilling Recipe
The ingredients for a perfect Rec Tec tri tip can certainly be modified to your taste; chili powder can be anything from mild to extra hot simply based on what you and your family enjoy.
- 2-3 lb Tri Tip
- Extra Virgin Olive
- 2 tsp of Kosher Salt
- 2 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
There is nothing special about mixing this Rec Tec tri tip rub; simply place all the dry ingredients into a bowl and mix thoroughly with your hand.
Prep Your Tri Tip
To ensure a perfect Rec Tec Tri tip grill, you should pull your Tri tip out of the fridge and ensure that it’s at room temperature by the time you’re ready to cook it on the Rec Tec.
You can also cut away any membrane or silver skin to get a much more tender tri tip; some people feel this isn’t required, but if you want a perfect Rec Tec tri tip, you should attempt this.
Smoked Tri Tip Rec Tec Instructions
For the best smoked Rec Tec tri tip, follow the instructions below and make sure you’re keeping an eye on the time and the temperature of your Rec Tec grill and the internal temperature of your tri tip to ensure it doesn’t overcook.
1.Put your grill grates flat side up on the right side of your Rec Tec grill.
2. Preheat your grill to 250ºF.
3. While your grill is preheating, mix up your tri tip grilling rub.
4. Pat your tri tip dry and place it into a cooking tray to save on mess; you can also place this tray under the grill grates to capture any drippings and make a sauce from them later.
5. Rub olive oil over your entire tri tip.
6. Rub your dry mixture over the entire tri tip and try to let it sit for at least 30 minutes.
7. Once your Rec Tec grill hits 250ºF, you can place the tri tip on the grill grates with the fat facing up.
8. Insert meat thermometer probes into each tri tip you have on your Rec Tec
9. Wait for the internal temperature of your tri tip to reach 130ºF, which should take around 1 hour, depending on the size of the tri tip.
10. Pull your tri tip out of the Rec Tec grill and increase the temperature to 400ºF.
11.Completely wrap your tri tip in tin foil.
12. Once your Rec Tec grill reaches 400ºF, unwrap the tri tip from tin foil.
13. Put the tri tip on the grill grates to sear for 4 minutes on each side.
14. Pull the tri tip out, let rest for 15 minutes on a cooling tray, and play a layer of tin foil over the top.
15. Remember to slice against grain for best results once you’ve ready to serve the tri tip.
How Do You Keep Your Rec Tec Tri Tip Warm?
If, for whatever reason, your Rec Tec tri tip has been cooked to perfection before everybody is ready to eat or people are still working on side dishes, then you’ll want to keep your tri tip warm and not have to reheat it later or provide cold meat.
One of the best options is a cambro or a faux cambro, which is typically used by caterers to keep food warm, but many home grillers find something similar like an insulated cooling bin that will stop the tri tip from cooling down too much and may already be in your garage.
It also makes for a handy carry container if you’re taking your tri tip to someone’s house or another location, and you can turn up with a beautiful warm Rec Tec tri tip.
Final Thoughts On The Ultimate Rec Tec Tri Tip Cooking Process
The cooking process above has a lot of steps and may seem like a lot of work initially, but most of the steps are quick and just broken out to make it as detailed as possible to get the ultimate Rec Tec tri tip cooking experience.
If you follow aforementioned steps carefully, no doubt, your Tri tip will turn out perfectly cooked and delicious as well.